Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Ibeji

So today I learned some interesting facts while talking to my grandfather (William Carmon). Apparently my great grandfather, James Ponybill Carmon, in addition to WWII draft card bad***-ery, also made vodka for a living, among doing other farm tasks. This kind of goes with the previous post where I discussed this farm his parents owned; the details of which are still unknown. I just thought that was an interesting side note.

In addition, he gave me quite a few more names for my family tree. He went to see some of his sisters/brothers in Greenville:

Sisters:

Pearlie Mae

Ella (Twins)
Dorothy

Linda (Another set of twins!)
Brenda

Brothers:

Winifred
Beal (?, Unsure)
Johnny Ray
Jamie Ray

The 2 sets of twins make me think of Ibeji:

(From Wiki)
Ibeji (known as Ibej√≠Ibey√≠, or Jimaguas in Latin America) is an Orisha. They are syncretized with Saints Cosmas and Damian.

While the birth rate of monozygotic twins is relatively constant worldwide, about 4 per 1000 births, that rate for dizygotic twins varies widely. The incidence of dizygotic twin births in much of Africa is significantly greater than in the United States, with the highest incidence among the Yoruba peoples of Nigeria, with a frequency of 47 per 1000 births

No comments:

Post a Comment