Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

DNA Tribes


I have not been here in quite some time. I just started school again recently. I'm taking 4 classes this semester, including 2 Italian classes, Chemistry Lab and Lecture, and an African Civilizations class. Last semester I earned a 3.764 and I want to continue to do as well in my classes, as well as to dedicate my time to my nonacademic interests, which including Horror Photography and Film (I recently completed a short film and will be creating another one in the next few months. This time I am creating a short film whose purpose will be to market a full length movie I am currently writing.) Needless to say, my Ancestry account is down for now, but I will be looking to get it back up in the future. I am considering hiring someone else to help me sift through all of this information in the future. With so many names and countries of origin it is hard to know where to begin searching for ancestors. I am currently as far back as 1825 and, as far as I know, my descendant lines are still in America at this point.

However, I have recently did what's known as an SNP Data Upload with the genetic company called DNA Tribes. Basically this test allows you to upload your dna from a previous test (I use my grandmother's Raw 23 and Me file) and to have the experts at DNA Tribes tell you which populations you match in their database.


This is my Grandmother's results. Basically she is about 83% Sub-Saharan African, 12.6% European, 2.5% East Asian, and 1% Native American. These percentages are broken down even further. I find that the percentage of Asian, both in Naxi, China (In the Yunan region) and Iban, Borneo (On the Malay Archipeligo, I believe) are very interesting. There is also the Kumyk, a Turkic population living in an area of Russia known as Dagestan. Together this brings her Asian score to around 5%.

I think it's also interesting that her European is classified as Finnish. She certainly has some ancestry (Large segments of dna, not random small segments) from there, but she also has ancestry (Again larger, more significant segments) from the UK, Ireland, etc). What I think this means is that the majority of her European "Reads" as Finnish because it is more Eurasian/Uralic. It is more on par with people say, Russia, Finland, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia, Hungary, Turkeyt etc (All countries she has connections with). It's possible some more Asian is hiding out in the European as well. 

My grandmother's Hungarian and Turkish dna reminds me of a little discovery I made a few months ago. While watching a film called Bathory, about the so called vampire queen, I became interested in whether or not there was an ancient connection on a genetic level between people from Africa and Hungary. Like whether or not there were people who had both mixtures in their blood at a very early time. I was already well versed in the presence AfroHungarians. These are people of African and Hungarian descent who are living in Hungary now, as many of their parents have for decades (Not sure for how long).  But I sought to make a deeper connection.

I discovered that back during the time of the Ottoman Empire, there were Hungarian soldiers who intermarried with Nubians. They are called Magyarabs. 

Here is part of the entry for Magyarabs on Wikipedia:
According to legend, Christian Hungarians who had only recently been brought under the control of the Ottoman Empire formed a part of the Ottoman army that was fighting in southern Egypt. Evidently, a portion or the entirety of the fighting unit remained there and intermarried with the local Nubian women.
According to local Magyarabs, their ancestor was Ibrahim el-Magyar, a general who came from Buda (present-day Budapest) in 1517, he married with a local Nubian woman, they had a son called Ali, Ali had five sons: Selabi, Mustafa, Djelaleddin, Musa and Iksa, Ali's five sons were the ancestor of all Magyarabs. Magyarabs are the members of the World Federation of Hungarians (Magyarok Világszövetsége) since 1992 and still consider themselves as Hungarians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyarab_people

Magyarabs






For those of you whom are interested, here is the film Bathory.






I am a big history nerd for those of you who don't know.



Very soon I will do this test for my Grandfather as well. I believe that he is going to score very high on Middle Eastern since I know that his Haplogroup and his own DNA seems to have some Middle Eastern and North African affinity. In fact, now on the synopsis for his genome on 23 and Me, it says that "It looks like you might have ancestry from the Palestinian Territory, since large segments of your dna is identical to people from that region."

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting reading cousin, I like how you presented your research. Now I'm looking forward to your grandfather's results..should be really informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was a very interesting post. Usually I struggle to understand some of the DNA verbiage but you explained it very well. I am really fascinated with how you validated your DNA results with your history. Great job on your research. Thank you for sharing this information. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete