Translate

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Winnie Brown

I decided to go back to the Frank and Winnie Carmon branch today. I wanted to expand upon that branch in particular since it appeared a roadblock to progress. On the death certificate of Winnie Brown, the mother and father are listed as a Mel and Chamel Brown. However, upon viewing records, I believe that this information is wrong. Who knows the reason those names were put onto the certificate. Perhaps the spouse (If still living) or doctor did not know the name of her parents...

In looking at the 1910 census, I see that Winnie and Frank lived together with their children in Contentnea, North Carolina. This is when she became a Carmon. What made me realize that the Winnie Brown I was looking at is the one i'm searching for, is the fact that on the 1880 Census (Winnie Brown, born in 1871), there is a Winnie Brown listed as:

Name: Winnie Brown
Age: 8
Birth Year: abt 1872
Birthplace: North Carolina
Home in 1880: Contentnea, Pitt, North Carolina

Again, the birth year is off...However this is nothing new. In the 1920 and 1930 Census her birthday is given as 1874. While in the 1910 and 1880, Winnie Brown's date of birth is 1871.

The name of the father is given as a Merrils Brown,  while the mother's is Ohpona Brown. They are both from North Carolina. Again, i'm not exactly sure why there is such a difference between the two names...But I am optimistic that this is the Winnie Brown I am looking for. I will proceed to research as if this is the case. Of course, if I see any glaring innacuracies then I will start from scratch again. (Ancestry.com makes it easy to delete connections from your tree, and start over). 















No comments:

Post a Comment