Translate

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Introduction

Hello there and welcome. 

I have created this site in order to participate in Blogfest. Blogfest is sponsored by the African-American Genealogy and Slave Ancestry Research Group, and their intent is in not only allowing people of African descent to tell their stories with the greater world but also with the hope that the participants will expand their knowledge of their family, through mutual exchange (Blogger to blogger) or perhaps even a chance encounter with a random viewer.

For more information, please visit:
http://blog.familytreemagazine.com/insider/CommentView,guid,0db88fbf-6821-44c4-98af-385179d1a705.aspx#commentstart

There is also a group on Facebook. 

My name is Nadia Carmon.

(Quick .I am a Biology major and an Italian minor. I've been into genetics and genealogy for the past few years. In addition to genealogical research, I have also been a part of the genetics testing boom on the consumer end. So far i've had myself, my mother, my uncle, my grandfather, and my grandmother tested. I think i'm done testing now. Now it's time to take those results and compare and contrast with my matches in order to build upon my genealogical research. I might add some of those results later for added effect to this blog).

I was born on a military base in North Carolina called Camp Lejeune. I was born in the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital. Both my mother and father were in the Marines. Unfortunately, my father died in action back in the early 1990s. I do not have a lot of information to go on about him so I will leave him out for now.

[I will see if I can recover some pictures from my aunt. She is the family historian and has pictures of myself and my mother when I was an infant. I would also like to salvage any other pictures she might have of the family.]

My mother, Patricia Ann Carmon was born in Almance County Hospital in Burlington, North Carolina to a William J Carmon (J for "Junior") and a Jeanette F Griffin (F for "Francis").  She grew up on a street called South Mebane. The entire family seems to have migrated between Winterville, Greenville, and perhaps also Ayden. Mainly, at least.

My grandfather's side of the family has been easier to pinpoint so I will begin with him.

William J Carmon (1933)  is the son of James Ponybill Carmon and Hattie Mae Carmon (1915).

At one point they lived on a farm (Owned by a non-relative Luther Dail, see his information below in the image). My mother remembers going to their farm often, and learning how to ride horses (To which her immediate family, not living on a farm, responded "How did she learn that?".

James Ponybill Carmon (1917) was drafted in World War II. Courtesy of Fold3 and Ancestry.com, I have found his Draft Card below:


















Some of my grandfather's brothers and sisters are (Carmon side):
James, Willie F, and Johnny Ray, and Pearlie Mae.

I have since not been able to locate the parents of James Ponybill Carmon.

However, I have recently found the mother and father of Hattie Mae Carmon. I was glazing through Ancestry.com one day and realized that Hattie Mae Washington was really Hattie Mae Carmon. Both her name and my great grandfather's name was on the family tree of someone I didn't know. I have since tried to connect with them but they have not been online in a few years.

The mother and father of my greatgrandmother Hattie Mae Washington were a Will (1870) and Maggie Washington (1901).


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your introduction. So sorry to read about your father. As far as your research, looks like you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernita. And it's alright. There was a time when I was a bit sad about my father's passing. I do have some memories of him...Like of him coming home from fishing (?), I think, while my mother braided my hair and I was watching some sort of Marilyn Monroe spoof :). I am proud that he served his country. He is a true hero. Military service seems to run in my family.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to read about your dad's passing. He would be proud of the work that you are doing.

    The DNA testing brings the research process to another level. It's great that you were able to get so many of your family tested. Thanks for sharing your story/

    ReplyDelete