Translate

Friday, December 27, 2013

India(n)

I love talking to my mother.

Besides my grandmother and grandfather, whom are coherent enough to interrogate but do not remember much except their mother and father's names, locations and dates of birth,  (I'm not complaining. Those are necessary vitals), or, maybe i'm just no good at interrogating them, my mother was able to provide some detail into the early history of our immediate family.

She remembered where she grew up. 

At a 610 Montgomery street in Burlington, North Carolina. Near Mebane. She was born at Alamance County Hospital, which she also mentioned to me a few days ago.

She also mentioned that at one point my grandfather, William J Carmon worked in Construction for KirkPatrick Paving, which is now a Triangle Grading and Paving, Inc. I believe it is the same location because the vice presidents name is R. “Gray” Kirkpatrick. Perhaps he is related to the older generation of KirkPatricks who owned the company under a different name. 

Triangle Grading and Paving, Inc.
Located at:
1521 Huffman Mill Rd, Burlington, NC 27215
(336) 584-1745

Another interesting tidbit involves my great grandfather Benjamin Franklin Griffen. He is the one who was reputed to be a full blooded Native American. He is, of course, the father of my grandmother Jeanette Carmon. According to my mother a part of the story revolves around a mole on my grandmother's forehead. Obviously I know that this could in fact have been a genetic anomally. It's interesting the way that we play telephone with facts, especially genealogical facts passed down from our relatives. Facts are often distorted. 

Take the word "Indian". 

One might assume Native American, since we are in the U.S. and I am not sure about the presence of Indians (From India) in early North Carolina. As far as genetics, I have not found a significant (For me, over a detectable rate of >.90) contribution from India. And again, as far as genetics, I have found a significant contribution from Native/East Asian (North Amerindian, Alaskan, Siberian, etc). So the possibility of having an immediate ancestor ultimately from India but who lived a few hundred years ago in North Carolina seems uncanny.

Genetics is a great tool to be able to plow and sift through all of these family stories. You can easily see which ones have more weight than others.

2 comments: